Help Needed In Cape Area ‘Toys For Tots’ Effort
12/10/2012 Leave a comment
From the Marine Corps League:
I am going to need a considerable amount of help in the next 10 days. Toy request forms are coming in from the Div. of Social Services offices, and the need is great. I found out this past week that at least 2 of the 4 county Social Services offices will not help with distribution of toys due to staff/budget cutbacks. I have lined up alternative distribution sites, but we will need to contact the families by telephone of where and when to pick up toys.Here is what I need:
- Volunteers to call parents in Scott and Stoddard counties to inform them of the location, date, time and ID # needed to pick up their toys. I particularly need volunteers who would be willing to use their cell phones (if they have an unlimited minutes calling plan) so they can call from the Armory. I can use anyone and everyone who wants to volunteer to do this – Det members, Aux, or any other willing people. We need to notify about 510 families in those two counties !
- I need 2 or 3 Detachment members/Aux members to be at the two distribution sites (Sikeston & Dexter) from approx. 9:00 am to 3:00 pm on December 20th. Contact me if you can do this and I will supply you with the details.
- I need a location in the Marble Hill area that we can use to distribute toys – there is a strong possibility that Bollinger County Social Services will not be able to help us. If you know of a place, give the contact name & number so I can follow up.
- As indicated earlier, we are in the Armory now and ready to begin filling toy requests very soon. Jimmie W. has the key and hours there are generally 9 – 4 and 6 to 9 or so. Before showing up, call to be sure someone is there. We are still collecting toys this week and we have the Schnucks event at the end of the week.
- Speaking of Schnucks, there are some gaps in our coverage there. Here is what I have from the sign-up sheet for this event:
- Thursday, Dec. 13th
- 4:00 to 6:00 pm David L. and Mike R.
- 6:00 to 8:00 pm Jimmie W. and Paul B.
- 8:00 to 10:00 pm Jim W.
- 10:00 to 12:00 Ron M.
- 12:00 to 6:00 am Ron M. & Ralph C.
- Friday, Dec. 13th
- 6:00 am to 10:00 Jimmie W.
- 10:00 am to 12:00
- 12:00 pm to 3:00
- 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- We are filling the toy requests in this order: 1.Cape County, 2. Stoddard County, 3.Bollinger County, 4. Scott County. I currently have 600 applications for 1358 children.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
PS Don’t Forget about the Rude Dog Pub and Happy Slapowitz event downtown on Thursday night. Please support this event if you are so inclined.
Toys for Tots Coordinator, SE Mo